Spring is in the air here in Erie and that means vacation plans are in your near future. While you’re figuring out what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what you’re leaving behind, your home. The Patterson & Stirling Inc team has some tips that will work to keep your home secure and help save some money on your utility bills while you revel in a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an economical way to make your home appear as though you’re still home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a wise idea to program your lights to sync up with your usual schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a dependable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater relief than a text while you’re away letting you know that everything at home is just fine.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to tell you not to share photos of your amazing vacation on social media, but try to hold off until after you are back to post anything about your trip. Family and friends presumably already know you’re leaving so there’s no need in letting potential criminals know your itinerary. Everyone will be just as excited about the wonderful things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it easier than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical item is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An easy way to cut back on energy while you’re away is to unplug a few of your electronics. Something that you may overlook unplugging is your garage door. It will save you energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re out of town there’s no need to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your usual level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some easy tips to add to your spring break prep checklist, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about securing your home this season or want to review additional energy saving tips, give Patterson & Stirling Inc in Erie a call at 814-308-0416.