Call it Murphy’s Law, or maybe just a little bad luck, but we sometimes see heat pump problems in Erie during the colder seasons, when they’re required to keep you comfortable. While you know the team at Patterson & Stirling Inc will forever be there ASAP when you need us for a heat pump repair, there are some things you can do to confirm that a repair is important and save yourself some cash if it’s not. We’ve collected this checklist of things to attempt before you give us a call.
- It may sound silly, but make sure everything is turned “on”. We’ve been to several calls only to find the thermostat or the heat pump itself is switched off.
If the heat pump still hasn’t turned on, go back to your thermostat.
- Is the thermostat switched to heat? If yes, raise the temperature by five degrees to test if it switches on.
- If everything looks right, test your heat pump switch (if it has one) and test the fuses and circuit breaker that guard the extra heating element (if it has one).
Is a blockage causing your heat pump to not work?
- Try replacing the battery, if it has one.
- Inspect your air filters inside your air handler to ensure they’re not blocking things up.
- Are your room heating registers open and clear?
If you’ve gone through this checklist and you still need a heat pump maintenance check, call Patterson & Stirling Inc at 814-308-0416 and we’ll restore your home back to the warm and cozy place you expect this time of year.