Whether you enjoy winter or prefer the warmer months in Erie, a lot of us make adjustments to make sure our home’s temperature keeps us content. This can have a huge impact on your energy bills, but there are steps you can take to reduce those energy costs.
- Look at the weather stripping – After many years, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to find any drafts that have to be addressed.
- Make use of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your home warm. Keep them open during the day when the sun is out, and make sure to close them at nighttime, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it needs to be changed. We suggest at least once every three months, but time between replacement can vary among households.
- Buy a programmable thermostat – Programmable thermostats may seem like just a handy way to make sure your home remains warm, but programmable thermostats can also save you money! You can set temperatures to be cooler when you are away from the home or sleeping. It’s just one way to be more efficient and help with energy costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Take a look and see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to decrease the chances of heat escaping.
- Schedule routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system will benefit from having a professional look at it, too. Hiring qualified technicians to clean and maintain your system will verify that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also identify small issues that could end up as more costly repairs if ignored.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—regardless your efforts to improve efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. An expert at Patterson & Stirling Inc can help you examine the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the choices for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps reduce the amount of money you are spending on your energy bills, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide insight on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Patterson & Stirling Inc in Erie a call to get started. Give us a shout at 814-308-0416 or arrange an appointment with us online.