According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the length of time you’ve had your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence the amount of time between cleanings. How can you know if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signals that you should keep an eye on.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are totally opened, do any have less adequate airflow than others?
2. Can you hear a sound other than your blower motor when you pay attention to the airflow?
3. Is there anything blocking your cold air return vent?
4. When you look inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
5. Have insects or rodents created a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns layered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers blowing out dust?
If you said “yes” to any of these questions, it’s likely time to ask Patterson & Stirling Inc in Erie about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are actions you can take to protect your ducts and extend the time between professional cleanings.
Most importantly, schedule consistent HVAC maintenance with the experts at Patterson & Stirling Inc. A regular inspection of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system operating at peak performance. Inspecting your system often and replacing the air filter when necessary will also help keep your ducts clear.
Additional ways you can help care for your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dust in from places such as your attic.
• Check your air filters regularly and switch them out when needed.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your house.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in poor or damp condition.
Keeping your ducts clean will help you make sure the air in your Erie home is clean. Be sure to use these preventative actions and schedule a professional duct cleaning now. Call the experts at Patterson & Stirling Inc at 814-308-0416 or schedule an appointment online.